Skip to main content

Unexpected Howl


They tiptoed into my sleep wearing dusty clothes and no shoes. They tried to not let me hear them, but the little girl put forth a giggle and the boy laughed, too, soon the whole room teetered in merriment. A while passed and a hush fell all around us, a silent prayer, save for the short breaths of the children, petite puffs in search of a throat.

There were nearly twenty in the group. They had been searching for years, but were always met with sideways glances and, oftentimes, violence. They smelled like sand. They were gentle. I sensed they’d come for my help, but, short of giving them water, I knew not what I could do. I wept at the looks on their faces, the pain, the anguish, the truth.

The little boy began to cry, followed soon after by the little girl, then we all began to weep. Our crying grew into an unexpected howl, a sorrowful choir of wingless angels.

Our hymn shattered the floor of Heaven and a great anointing of water fell down upon us all...


Copyright © 2006 mrp / mark richard prime / thepoetryman


Comments

  1. It is the evening of the day
    I sit and watch the children play
    All I hear is the sound
    Of rain falling on the ground
    I sit and watch as tears go by

    My riches can't buy everything
    I long to hear the children sing
    Smiling faces I can see
    But not for me
    I sit and watch as tears go by

    --song by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards

    ReplyDelete
  2. SadButTrue, Thank you for the visit and the great lyrics!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

sdrawkcaB nruT (Turn Backwards)

I have been witness to the four pillars and see no reason to carry death there. Doesn’t the world know that life moves for more than just the sons of Abraham? O! I see the stunned throats floating by in the dusk to their stiff-limbed sleep as metal rains down over the Jordan’s western prophet, children dying there. I am here, waiting, breathing in the dusk under the shadow of the patriarch, asking, can we again build the shrine inside the soul and leave our flesh to time? © 2008 mrp/thepoetryman

SKYFALL

Skyfall... We continue to play along with an unnatural game that has serious consequences, soon we'll find ourselves enslaved without recourse to the system. (Is that true of local charades?) Yes. (Why can't we free ourselves from the system?) The madness of money. (It's not money, it's people, right?) It's both, money and us in tandem, thus assuring money's might and our adherance to its loudness. (Madness...) Indeed. © 2017 Mark Richard Prime

THE ROCK HOLDS

The rock holds the soil in and from the soil springs the tree, the green of LIFE rolling from the blue, rising to the occasion of itself. . “Be!”, the (H)eartH declares, “Be what you are!” . (We thought we were!) . (We think we are!) . “You are, but not freely, therefore, only a thought, and a thought without much thinking, as if you were scared into it.”, the (H)eartH added. . [a quietude begins, the truth being heard and heeded, grooving to the flow] ~ © 2017 Mark Richard Prime