Skip to main content

Behind the Walls

I’m behind the walls, too. In the wake of division, I try to peer over, but can’t. I try to climb over, towering walls, trenches, barriers, hills and rivers and nearly make it before I’m called back. The stamp of boots brings me to trembling, to remembering, what of goodness? If I ascend the walls, what’s there for me on the other side, the end of hatred, murder, rape and war? Is it possible to escape the exhibition?

I’m tired of the clatter and clack of teeth and gunfire, the moans of shattered children, I want to scale the walls, escape the noise. But I've been summoned, called back to grapple another day or fetch laughter from clinched jaws. I cannot exit now, the stakes are too high, like a razor-blade held against my tightening throat.

Man’s kinship is breathing near the heart of truth. It is panting, eager and trembling near the stone that weighs down love and hides my joy. The walls push me back. The barricades are like cords wrapped around my neck, the furrows I've dug in hearts and souls cannot be undug, but can be filled.

Barricades hold me away from truth like an improvised bomb sending me skyward, tumbling in disappointment, crashing through silence like noise with a firmness uncalled for, a gruesome face.

Why are walls our king, lies our prince and war our god? There are ravines filled with medals, fathers and young sons, mothers and daughters, brothers and sisters held down with clay, with infamy and dread, and there are valleys of water lapping up man’s fatty venom.

I’m behind the walls, too, waiting on love to scale them with limbs of exactness, hands at the ready, waiting to curl up in my lofty expectation. I'll Ignore the walls, trenches and barriers, and embrace the hills and rivers like the voices in my dreams speaking truth. Walls can be torn down and assembled into smiles, joy can snuggle with me like kittens, their softness, my instructor, ascend goodness, leave the walls for art, that I might gaze upon them with wonder.


© 2010 by mark prime


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SKYFALL

Skyfall... We continue to play along with an unnatural game that has serious consequences, soon we'll find ourselves enslaved without recourse to the system. (Is that true of local charades?) Yes. (Why can't we free ourselves from the system?) The madness of money. (It's not money, it's people, right?) It's both, money and us in tandem, thus assuring money's might and our adherance to its loudness. (Madness...) Indeed. © 2017 Mark Richard Prime

THE ROCK HOLDS

The rock holds the soil in and from the soil springs the tree, the green of LIFE rolling from the blue, rising to the occasion of itself. . “Be!”, the (H)eartH declares, “Be what you are!” . (We thought we were!) . (We think we are!) . “You are, but not freely, therefore, only a thought, and a thought without much thinking, as if you were scared into it.”, the (H)eartH added. . [a quietude begins, the truth being heard and heeded, grooving to the flow] ~ © 2017 Mark Richard Prime

sdrawkcaB nruT (Turn Backwards)

I have been witness to the four pillars and see no reason to carry death there. Doesn’t the world know that life moves for more than just the sons of Abraham? O! I see the stunned throats floating by in the dusk to their stiff-limbed sleep as metal rains down over the Jordan’s western prophet, children dying there. I am here, waiting, breathing in the dusk under the shadow of the patriarch, asking, can we again build the shrine inside the soul and leave our flesh to time? © 2008 mrp/thepoetryman