Skip to main content

Questions for Hunger's Messenger (The 10th September Song)

On Tuesday September 11, 2001, at least 35,615 of our brother and sisters died from the worst possible death, starvation. Somewhere around 85% of these starvation deaths occur in children 5 years of age or younger. Why are we letting at least 30,273 of the most beautiful children die the worst possible death everyday? Every 2.43 seconds another one of our fellow brothers and sisters dies of starvation. Starvation doesn't just happen on Tuesday September 11, 2001, it happens everyday, 365 days per year, 24 hours per day, it never stops.

Alongside the sheen of uncertain sunlight, my stomach’s alarm floats a bitter pang like an omen. Low down, it rises.

Ahead of nightfall, grumbling loud, reminding me its there, “Remember the hungry”, it clangs, “You’ve enough to spare.”

Running in like a frightened child the messenger stumbles ever so briefly with news meant to feed me, afford me a message of affection. My face feels most ancient. My love feels new. I smile upon the runner with joy and open my arms to her.

Her breathing is even and bold, she stands before me, shimmering, like the questions I hold. “Why has hunger shown itself to me?” “Why must hunger take a child?” “Why does it wed with greed?” “Why won’t hunger die?”

Her breathing is even and bold. Looking as if she's about to leave, she turns to me and asks, “Why won’t you slay it?”

Stunned, I counter, “Bring hunger out to face me! I will smother it! I will devour its wrath!”

She smiles warmly, “Is that all?”

I feel daring and my feet are steady yet my stomach aches for more, so I ask, “Isn’t that enough death for now?”


© 2010 by mark prime

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

sdrawkcaB nruT (Turn Backwards)

I have been witness to the four pillars and see no reason to carry death there. Doesn’t the world know that life moves for more than just the sons of Abraham? O! I see the stunned throats floating by in the dusk to their stiff-limbed sleep as metal rains down over the Jordan’s western prophet, children dying there. I am here, waiting, breathing in the dusk under the shadow of the patriarch, asking, can we again build the shrine inside the soul and leave our flesh to time? © 2008 mrp/thepoetryman

SKYFALL

Skyfall... We continue to play along with an unnatural game that has serious consequences, soon we'll find ourselves enslaved without recourse to the system. (Is that true of local charades?) Yes. (Why can't we free ourselves from the system?) The madness of money. (It's not money, it's people, right?) It's both, money and us in tandem, thus assuring money's might and our adherance to its loudness. (Madness...) Indeed. © 2017 Mark Richard Prime

THE ROCK HOLDS

The rock holds the soil in and from the soil springs the tree, the green of LIFE rolling from the blue, rising to the occasion of itself. . “Be!”, the (H)eartH declares, “Be what you are!” . (We thought we were!) . (We think we are!) . “You are, but not freely, therefore, only a thought, and a thought without much thinking, as if you were scared into it.”, the (H)eartH added. . [a quietude begins, the truth being heard and heeded, grooving to the flow] ~ © 2017 Mark Richard Prime