Skip to main content

TUMBLE DOWN (A Short Absurd Play)

An absurd play about family values and an Iraq War vet....

As the audience files in they see a humble dining room table center. Three humble chairs. Three plates and three sets of silverware. The Dixie Chicks “I’m Not Ready to Make Nice” begins to play, timed to end as houselights and stage fade out. The stage is dark as the last of the song filters through the theatre. Silence. The phone rings. After the third ring it is answered by CHRISTINE. We hear her voice in the dark.

CHRISTINE: Hello? Hey, Carla! …Yes! Craig’s back! He arrived today! Yes! Oh! Yes! …What? …No. No. He is. Yes. Of course, when have you known my football star brother not to look good? Yes. I know. I know what you meant. It’s just hard to talk about, ya know? Yes. …No! You can’t talk to him! …Downstairs. I don’t know. No. Yes. Everyone is very excited to have him back. What? Yes. I talked to him. No! I’m not going to ask him to tell me what happened and I suggest you don’t either. I’m serious, Carla. I am. Don’t. …What? …Yes. Yes. Both. …Yes. Both of them. What? No. Both of them are gone. Yes. Gone. Missing. Gone. …What? No. I haven’t told them. I’m going to do it tonight at dinner. Yes. Another reason I’m glad Craig’s home. Yes. I’m telling them tonight. Seriously.

(Suddenly we hear BARBARA yelling.)

MOM: Time for dinner, Christine! Get off that phone and come to dinner, dear!

CHRISTINE: I gotta go, Carla. Yes! Mom’s calling me. Okay. I will! Bye!

(Silence. Lights slowly rise on the dinner table. TED sits at the left end of the table. BARBARA at the right end. CRAIG, in a wheelchair, sits center facing the audience. CHRISTINE comes bounding in and sits center with her back to the audience directly in front of CRAIG.)

TED: Let’s have a prayer before we start shall we?

(BARBARA and TED bow their heads. CRAIG and CHRISTINE just look at one another.)

TED: Dear heavenly father, thank you for this opportunity to sit with my son again…

BARBARA: Our son.

TED: Yes. Thank you for this opportunity to sit with our son again.

BARBARA: Thank you.

TED: You’re welcome. Lord, thank you for bringing him back to us.

(CHRISTINE moves her chair around the table to sit next to CRAIG as TED continues with the prayer.)

TED: We thought we had lost him there.

BARBARA: We thought he was dead.

(CHRISTINE and CRAIG now begin to mimic the two parents. It is almost as if they are doing sign language to interpret the dialogue, as if the two siblings have a game that they have played since childhood and dinner prayers. It should be funny. Exaggerated and mocking.)

TED: Yes. Thank you. We thought he was dead…and that’s not an easy thing to think of your own son.

BARBARA: Our own son.

TED: Yes. …and that’s not an easy thing to think of our own son.

BARBARA: Thank you.

TED: You are most welcome. I mean, Lord, we hadn’t heard anything but glowing reports from the marines-

BARBARA: Army.

TED: -the military complex. Even from your man in charge.

BARBARA: GW.

TED: GW was saying that everything was peachy over there when it wasn’t.

BARBARA: Isn’t.

TED: Isn’t. Yes. When everything isn’t peachy over there. According to them my son-

(CRAIG begins to tire of the game for obvious reasons and instead begins to slowly rock back and forth in his chair. It is a very subtle movement but continuous.)

BARBARA: Our.

TED: -our son was in no danger because he rode in a big hunk of moving metal-

BARBARA: A humvee.

TED: -surrounded by steel plates and real thick stuff-

BARBARA: Armor.

TED: -and they said he would be safe from things-

BARBARA: IEDs and RPGs.

TED: And angry Arabs.

BARBARA: Terrorists.

TED: Terrible people with no soul. Ragheads.

BARBARA: Shemagh scarveheads.

TED: Religious zealots.

BARBARA: Islamic fundamentalists.

TED: Amen.

BARBARA: Amen.

(CHRISTINE stops mocking. CRAIG continues to rock back and forth.)

TED: Wow. I’m hungry.

BARBARA: Famished.

CHRISTINE: Starving, ravenous, could eat a horse, huuuungrrrrrryyyyyy-

CRAIG: Empty.

(Silence.)

BARBARA: Okay. That’s enough words for one meal. We needn’t worry our beautiful minds with words. Let’s eat and be thankful we’ve the wherewithal.

TED: Good idea, Barbara.

BARBARA: Thank you, Ted.

TED: Now, Christine. Don’t crowd your brother. Give him some room to rock.

BARBARA: Yes. People need room to rock, dear. Craig’s had enough of crowded spaces.

TED: Deserts and heat and crammed full quarters.

BARBARA: Jam-packed barracks of strapping fine warriors…

(Suddenly CRAIG stops his rocking and begins to eat ravenously as everyone watches him. After a good while CRAIG drops his fork to the floor. Everyone then looks aghast as if the world had crashed. After a moment CHRISTINE bends down and picks it up. She licks it clean and puts it back on CRAIG’S plate. Silence. CRAIG picks it up and begins to eat again. Everyone now eats like him and devours their food. The loud smacking and grunting goes on for some time until CRAIG drops his fork again. A moment as all are aghast at the event. Soon CHRISTINE drops her fork followed by BARBARA and TED.)

TED: That was a delicious welcome home meal, Barbara!

BARBARA: Thank you, Ted.. I made it special for our star-athlete son. Isn’t he beautiful?

TED: Handsome. Yes. Very.

BARBARA: Takes after his father, ya know…

CHRISTINE: After daddy?

BARBARA: No. His father, dear.

CHRISTINE: That’s what I said.

BARBARA: No, honey. Your daddy is not your brother’s father.

CHRISTINE: What?

TED: Nope. Our son is not our child.

BARBARA: Do you remember Dr. Fredrickson?

CHRISTINE: Your gynecologist?

BARBARA: Yes. Your daddy was working so much that I had to do something.

TED: I don’t work that much anymore.

BARBARA: Nope. Twenty years ago my one and only love was a slave.

TED: A white slave.

BARBARA: To the system. The oligarchy.

TED: What your mother, my first and only love, except that one weekend in Barbatos, said is true.

BARBARA: That was a fun weekend. I had almost forgotten my dearest. Oh! The joys of being young and childless!

TED: It wasn’t “Oligarchy”, dear. I never worked for them. It was Sears and Roebuck I was a slave to, remember?

BARBARA: Whatever you say, dear.

CHRISTINE: I don’t believe this!

BARBARA: Oh, honey. Your daddy was always working and a woman has needs to be-

CHRISTINE: Stop! You’re saying that he’s not my real brother?

BARBARA: Half of him is .

TED: Just half, Christine.

BARBARA: Your brother is your half brother.

TED: Half.

CHRISTINE: Half brother?

CRAIG: Ironic, isn’t it?

BARBARA: Oh! Stop that! Stop that this minute young man! You are a whole person! God gave you a beautiful soul! I know it was rough over there but get over it! You’re back safe with us now!

TED: Dirty towelheads took my sons legs!

BARBARA: Shemagh scarves.

TED: Raghead bastards took his legs but they didn’t take his State-Championship football trophy!

BARBARA: Shemagh son-of-a-bitches can never take that away from us!

(Suddenly CRAIG slams the table with his fist and the parents freeze in motion. CRAIG now stares front. CHRISTINE watches him.)

CRAIG: Are you there? (Silence.) Are you there?

VOICE: Yes.

CRAIG: I want some peace and quite.

VOICE: What do you call this?

CRAIG: Hell.

VOICE: Yes.

(Pause.)

CRAIG: What’s going to happen?

VOICE: What do you want to have happen?

CRAIG: I want to go back to the way it was.

VOICE: That’s not possible.

CRAIG: Then you tell me what I should want to happen.

VOICE: Rage.

CRAIG: Rage?

VOICE: Yes. Rage is all you’ve left.

BROTHER: I’ve had enough rage to last a lifetime.

VOICE: No. Your rage has just begun.

CRAIG: A throne made of water stands before me.

VOICE: Yes.

CRAIG: An abomination.

VOICE: Yes.

CRAIG: The war-tapped black sky dances upon the black moon.

VOICE: Yes. It has begun.

CRAIG: How much longer?

VOICE: Not long now. Soon.

CRAIG: Will you always be here when I need you?

VOICE: Throughout.

CRAIG: You and my sister are all I care about.

VOICE: Yes.

CRAIG: Can you save her?

VOICE: Who?

CRAIG: My sister.

VOICE: Yes. But she is the only one.

CRAIG: She’s too young to know any better.

VOICE: No. She knows. Christine knows all about your rage.

CRAIG: She does? How?

VOICE: Her dreams speak of colorless horrors.

CRAIG: I don’t want her to know everything I did.

VOICE: You can’t stop her dreams, Craig.

CRAIG: No.

VOICE: No. It is a breathless noise. Unreachable.


(CHRISTINE puts her hand on CRAIGS arm.)


CRAIG: Can I stop my own?

VOICE: No.

CRAIG: Can you stop yours?

VOICE: I don’t dream. I’m not real.

CRAIG: Streaming banners praying for blood dangle from my dreams.

VOICE: I know.

CRAIG: How much longer?

VOICE: Not long.

CRAIG: Am I evil?

VOICE: Evil is merely your good tormented by its famine.

CRAIG: What’s rage?

VOICE: A massive sea monster woven of fleece.

(Suddenly the parents unfreeze and begin where they left off.)

TED: See kids, that’s the beauty of life as an American! No good sonofabitches can’t just come in and take things without paying a price!

BARBARA: It’s called justice! Red hot white and blue pulsating justice!

CHRISTINE: I’m pregnant.

(Sudden silence.)

BARBARA: What?

TED: She said she’s pregnant, Barbara?

BARBARA: I know what she said, Ted!

CRAIG: Congratulations little sister.

BARBARA: Congratulations?

TED: Goddamnit! Our little girl’s a slut!

BARBARA: Harlot! Whose baby is it?

CHRISTINE: Mine.

BARBARA: Who is the father?

CHRISTINE: His name is Almahdi Rahman.

TED: An arab?!

BARBARA: What?

TED: Almahdi Rahman is an Arabic name, Barbara.

BARBARA: I know that, Ted!

CHRISTINE: He is a peaceful loving boy.

TED: When I see his towelhead ass-

BARBARA: -shemagh-head ass

TED: Whatever you call it, he’ll just be another dead Arab!

CRAIG: Now?

VOICE: No. Not just yet.

CRAIG: When?

VOICE: Soon. Very soon.

TED: Who are you talking to, Craig?

CHRISTINE: The voice.

BARBARA: It’s their little game, Ted.

CRAIG: You hear it, too?

BARBARA: These two half-siblings have always played their little games!

CHRISTINE: No, Craig, but I hear you.

TED: The voice? You’re hearing voices, son?

CRAIG: Half-son.

TED: Okay! Half-son, are you hearing voices?

CRAIG: Leave me alone.

TED: They told us that you might-

BARBARA: Posttraumatic stress disorder.

TED: They said that if you heard voices that we were to take action.

CRAIG: You touch me and I’ll-

CHRISTINE: No, Craig! They’re just slaves to the oligarchy, remember?

CRAIG: Staggering and once proud men took flight in jets made of crumbs-

TED: Call the authorities, Barbara?

CRAIG: And tumbled down a hailstorm of counterfeit promises and iniquity!

BARBARA: Pregnant! How could you be so stupid, Christine?

TED: Did this little Arab bastard rape you?

CRAIG: STOP! His name is Almahdi, it means “guided to the right path”! He’s a human being for Christ’s sake! I killed hundreds of them! Me! I did it! I murdered them!

TED: No! It’s war, Craig! Not you! It was war that killed the bastards!

BARBARA: You are not a murderer, Craig! We may be many things, this family, but murderers we ain’t!

CRAIG: Shut your filthy mouths, half-father and half-mother!

BARBARA: I’m your full mother, Craig.

TED: Call the number they gave us, Barbara!

BARBARA: Get me the phone!

(TED runs off stage and suddenly reappears carrying a remote phone and he hands it to BARBARA who begins to dial "the number".)

BARBARA: Oh! That's not it!

TED: Dial the number, Barbara!

BARBARA: I'm trying to remember it, Ted!

TED: Dial it! Dial it! Dial it!

BARBARA: Shut up! Let me think, Ted! 1-800-435-7787? Or is it 1-800-426-3323?
TED: Dial it! Dial it!

BARBARA: Let me think! Let me think!

TED: Dial it! He's hearing voices!

CRAIG: Take me out of here, Christine, before I kill again.

BARBARA: Our son is half-crazy and our daughter's a complete whore!

CRAIG: CHRISTINE!

CHRISTINE: Are you sure?

CRAIG: NOW, GODDAMNIT! NOW!

VOICE: Yes. Now, Craig. Do it now.

TED: (To Barbara.) Did you hear that voice?

(Sudden blackout. …Silence. The end.)



Copyright © 2007 mrp / thepoetryman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sdrawkcaB nruT (Turn Backwards)

I have been witness to the four pillars and see no reason to carry death there. Doesn’t the world know that life moves for more than just the sons of Abraham? O! I see the stunned throats floating by in the dusk to their stiff-limbed sleep as metal rains down over the Jordan’s western prophet, children dying there. I am here, waiting, breathing in the dusk under the shadow of the patriarch, asking, can we again build the shrine inside the soul and leave our flesh to time? © 2008 mrp/thepoetryman

SKYFALL

Skyfall... We continue to play along with an unnatural game that has serious consequences, soon we'll find ourselves enslaved without recourse to the system. (Is that true of local charades?) Yes. (Why can't we free ourselves from the system?) The madness of money. (It's not money, it's people, right?) It's both, money and us in tandem, thus assuring money's might and our adherance to its loudness. (Madness...) Indeed. © 2017 Mark Richard Prime

THE ROCK HOLDS

The rock holds the soil in and from the soil springs the tree, the green of LIFE rolling from the blue, rising to the occasion of itself. . “Be!”, the (H)eartH declares, “Be what you are!” . (We thought we were!) . (We think we are!) . “You are, but not freely, therefore, only a thought, and a thought without much thinking, as if you were scared into it.”, the (H)eartH added. . [a quietude begins, the truth being heard and heeded, grooving to the flow] ~ © 2017 Mark Richard Prime