Skip to main content

ALLAHU AKBAR (A one-act play)

A play on torture...


As the audience files in they see on the stage a dungeon-like cell in the shadows center stage, seemingly underground. There is a stone wall center and one wooden chair to the left. A human shackle device is mounted upon the wall; two hand shackles with chains and two foot shackles with chains.

House lights fade followed by the dim light on the stage. Sounds of bombs and gunfire are heard in the distance. Soon the lights rise on the dungeon and we see a AZHAR, age fourteen, hanging limply from the wall. Blood and torture marks cover his near naked body. His underwear is all that covers him. This sight for a long moment as the bombs and gunfire continue echoing from afar. After a good moment of this the gunfire and bombs fade down nearly undetectable and AZHAR suddenly jerks and raises his head. He pulls on the chains and winces from the pain.

Open the play [+/-]


AZHAR: I am not a terrorist. I am not a suicide bomber. "He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell-Fire." I am not a terrorist! I am a fourteen year old boy. I was on my way to school. I am a peaceful person. Islam is a peaceful religion. “Our Lord, avert from us the wrath of Hell, for its wrath is indeed an affliction grievous. Evil indeed is it as an abode and as a place to rest in. Those who invoke not with Allah any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred, except for just cause, nor commit fornication. Those who witness no falsehood and if pass by futility they pass by it with honorable avoidance.

(From the shadows stage left blasts the voice of his captor.)



CAPTOR: Shut the hell up you blasphemer! Shut the hell up! Shut the hell up or I will beat you till you’re dead!

AZHAR: (Quietly.) Okay. Okay.

(The light stage left rises and we see a young American soldier. He is not big, but he carries the air of a much larger man. He holds a bull whip in one hand and a sling shot in the other. He snaps the bullwhip across AZHAR’s legs several times.)


CAPTOR: Is that what you want? Is it? `Cause I could do this all day long! I like doing it! You are a killer! You make me sick! You killed my people!

AZHAR: I have killed no one! I am not a killer!

CAPTOR: Who gave you this sling-shot? Who?

AZHAR: I bought it from a store. It is inexpensive.

CAPTOR: It’s a deadly weapon!

(CAPTOR slings a small pebble he got from the ground and it smacks AZHAR in the stomach.)

CAPTOR: Hurts huh? Put a bigger rock in it and you could kill someone, ergo, it’s a deadly weapon! Who gave you this sling-shot?

AZHAR: I bought it from a store! I only used it once!

CAPTOR: So you did try to kill someone?

AZHAR: No! No. I shot an empty can. I am fourteen years old. I was on my way to school.

CAPTOR: With a sling-shot?

AZHAR: Yes.

CAPTOR: They let you bring this shit to school?

AZHAR: What?

CAPTOR: A slingshot!

AZHAR: Yes.

CAPTOR: No wonder your country is so damned violent! No wonder you’re killing your own! Probably why Sadaam’s such a vicious bastard!

AZHAR: Because of a sling-shot?

(Pause.)



CAPTOR: WHERE’D YOU GET THE BOMB, HABIB?

AZHAR: What?

(Cracking the whip on his legs.)

CAPTOR: DON’T PLAY STUPID, BOY!

AZHAR: A bomb?

CAPTOR: Yes! Who gave you the bomb in your backpack?

AZHAR: There is no bomb in my back pack. You are lying.

(Cracks the whip several times upon AZHAR’s legs and chest.)

AZHAR: I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING! Why are you doing this to me? I am not a terrorist. I don’t know any terrorists.

CAPTOR: You live in Iraq don’t you?

AZHAR: Yes. Baghdad.

CAPTOR: Then you’re a terrorist with a sling-shot and a bomb, Mamhoon!

AZHAR: Azhar!

CAPTOR: What?

AZHAR: Azhar.

CAPTOR: What the hell does that mean?

AZHAR: It’s my name. It means most-

CAPTOR: Where’d you get the bomb, Mamhoon?

AZHAR: There is no bomb!

CAPTOR: ARE YOU CALLING ME A LIAR?

AZHAR: I am not a murderer! "You shall not kill any person - for God has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. If one is killed unjustly, then we give his heir authority to enforce justice. Thus, he shall not exceed the limits in avenging the murder, he will be helped." (17:33, The Koran.)

CAPTOR: (Striking AZHAR with the whip.) I’m your damned Justice, boy! You killed 3,000 innocents and now you’re getting your just dessert, Mamhoon Azhar!

AZHAR: I am not a homosexual! You! You are a sheep! A liar! An infidel! Go ahead and beat me! Go ahead! I am not a murderer! I did not fly a plane into your building! I do not have a bomb! I am fourteen years old! I have a sling-shot! I bought it at a store! It was inexpensive! I am not a terrorist! I do not believe in murder! I believe in Allah! God! You are the murderer! You! American murderer!

CAPTOR: You little son of a bitch!

(CAPTOR pulls a bottle of rubbing alcohol from his pocket.)

CAPTOR: Let’s see how you like rubbing alcohol, Azhar Mamhoon! What’s the Koran say about that, huh?! Bet you’ll talk now!

(CAPTOR pours the whole bottle over AZHAR’s head and body. AZHAR screams and pulls at his chains, but it is more of a defiant scream and a lunge toward CAPTOR. He screams directly in CAPTOR’S face.)



AZHAR: ANYONE WHO MURDERS ANY PERSON WHO HAD NOT COMMITTED MURDER OR HORRENDOUS CRIMES, IT SHALL BE AS IF HE MURDERED ALL THE PEOPLE! ALLAH! GOD! HE IS THE ONE GOD; THERE IS NO OTHER GOD BESIDE HIM! WE HAVE THE SAME GOD! THE SAME! YOU ARE A MURDERER! GOD SHALL PUNISH YOU, NOT ME! YOU! YOU! INFIDEL TORTURER!

(CAPTOR during AZHAR’s speech has crossed to the chair and retrieved his sidearm. He crosses to him at the last “you” and places the barrel of the gun hard against his temple.)



CAPTOR: YOU ARE A TERRORIST AND IN THE NAME OF GOD I-

AZHAR: I AM NOT A TERRORIST! I AM A BOY! MY NAME MEANS THE MOST SHINING!

CAPTOR: I SENTENCE YOU TO DEATH! “I SHALL NOT KILL ANY PERSON - FOR GOD HAS MADE LIFE SACRED - EXCEPT IN THE COURSE OF JUSTICE!” ME, BOY! I AM GOD AVENGING THREE THOUSAND!

AZHAR: Allahu Akbar min kulli shay! (God is greater than everything.) Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar min kulli shay! Allahu Akbar!

(A man suddenly runs in from stage left and knocks CAPTOR to the ground. His gun falls to the floor and the man picks it up.)

MAN: What the hell are you doing? Have you lost your Goddamned mind, soldier? Get up! Get up and get the hell out of here! Go! GO!

CAPTOR: Yes sir. Sorry, sir.

MAN: Don’t apologize to me, soldier! Apologize to this boy!

CAPTOR: Yes, sir.

MAN: NOW!

CAPTOR: Yes, sir. Sorry.

MAN: Sorry, what?

CAPTOR: Sorry, Azhar.

MAN: Now get the hell out of here before I beat you with this damned whip! GO!

CAPTOR: (Exiting left while he salutes.) Yes, Sir! (He is gone.)

(MAN crosses to the chair and pulls it up next to AZHAR and sits down. Silence.)


AZHAR: Thank you.

MAN: I am so sorry, Azhar. I’m so very sorry.

AZHAR: You did nothing wrong, sir.

MAN: I should never have left. All the men are under a great deal of stress. If you knew them before this damned war you’d probably be friends with them. I don’t know? I don’t know.

(Long silence.)

AZHAR: I am not a terrorist.

MAN: I know, Azhar. I know.

AZHAR: Then… may I go home now?

MAN: I wish it were that easy, son.

AZHAR: I want to go home.

MAN: You will... in due time, Azhar. I have to follow protocol. It means I have to follow the rules.

AZHAR: I know what it means…

MAN: Yes. You are a smart young man. I didn’t mean to insult you.

AZHAR: I was not insulted, sir. You are very kind. Peace be with you.

MAN: (Standing.) Let me get a wet cloth and take that alcohol out of your wounds. (MAN exits.)

AZHAR: Allahu Akbar. Allahu Akbar min kulli shay.

(Silence.)



MAN: (Entering.) Here we go. Let me clean you off. Look what he did to you. My God. I am so sorry.

(MAN begins to gently dab the wet rag upon AZHAR’s wounds. AZHAR winces a bit each time.)

MAN: I’m sorry. But this will make you feel better.

AZHAR: It is okay. It doesn’t hurt as bad as the alcohol.

MAN: I am very sorry you have been put through this, Azhar. I truly am.

AZHAR: The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

MAN: Mahatma Gandhi?

AZHAR: Yes. A beautiful man.

MAN: Yes.

(For a few moments MAN dabs the cloth on AZHAR’s wounds.)


MAN: You are a beautiful boy, Azhar.

AZHAR: No.

MAN: Yes. You are.

AZHAR: …Thank you, sir.

MAN: Your eyes are deep and affecting. Your soul is pure. I can tell, Azhar. Yes. And your skin is so, so soft and delicate. You are a beautiful young man. You should not be afraid of me, Azhar. I am your friend. I will not harm you. I want to make your pain go away. I want to make you forget about your pain. Your skin.Your skin is so beautiful, so soft.

(MAN is now standing in front of AZHAR who begins to cry at having realized what is about to happen. AZHAR cries as MAN puts his fingers inside the band of his underwear and begins to very slowly pull them down.)

AZHAR: I want to die. I want to die. I want to die. I want to die. I want to die.

(Lights fade as he repeats this line with the same cadence as “Allahu Akbar”. After the first “I want to die” the sounds of war have returned in the distance and as the lights fade the sounds grow louder and by the time the lights are out it sounds as bombs are falling directly on top of the audience!)

The End




Copyright © 2006 mrp / thepoetryman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sdrawkcaB nruT (Turn Backwards)

I have been witness to the four pillars and see no reason to carry death there. Doesn’t the world know that life moves for more than just the sons of Abraham? O! I see the stunned throats floating by in the dusk to their stiff-limbed sleep as metal rains down over the Jordan’s western prophet, children dying there. I am here, waiting, breathing in the dusk under the shadow of the patriarch, asking, can we again build the shrine inside the soul and leave our flesh to time? © 2008 mrp/thepoetryman

SKYFALL

Skyfall... We continue to play along with an unnatural game that has serious consequences, soon we'll find ourselves enslaved without recourse to the system. (Is that true of local charades?) Yes. (Why can't we free ourselves from the system?) The madness of money. (It's not money, it's people, right?) It's both, money and us in tandem, thus assuring money's might and our adherance to its loudness. (Madness...) Indeed. © 2017 Mark Richard Prime

THE ROCK HOLDS

The rock holds the soil in and from the soil springs the tree, the green of LIFE rolling from the blue, rising to the occasion of itself. . “Be!”, the (H)eartH declares, “Be what you are!” . (We thought we were!) . (We think we are!) . “You are, but not freely, therefore, only a thought, and a thought without much thinking, as if you were scared into it.”, the (H)eartH added. . [a quietude begins, the truth being heard and heeded, grooving to the flow] ~ © 2017 Mark Richard Prime